Think I exaggerate about disastrous effects of a McCain presidency? Here's a glance at some of his voting history:
- Voted NO on spending $448B of tax cut on education & debt reduction. (Apr 2001)
- Voted YES on declaring memorial prayers and religious symbols OK at schools. (May 1999)
- Voted YES on $75M for abstinence education. (Jul 1996)
- Voted YES on requiring schools to allow voluntary prayer. (Jul 1994)
- Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
- Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
- Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
- Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
- Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
- Voted YES on rejecting racial statistics in death penalty appeals. (May 1994)
- Voted YES on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. (Oct 2007)
- Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
- Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
- Rated 0% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
- Rated 33% by the HRC, indicating a mixed record on gay rights. (Dec 2006)
- Rated 7% by the NAACP, indicating an anti-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)
- Rated 45% by the NEA, indicating a mixed record on public education. (Dec 2003)
- In the 1980s, rebuked by the Senate Ethics panel for his involvement in the Keating Savings & Loan scandal.
- 1998 he made the following joke at a Republican fundraiser: "Why is Chelsea Clinton ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno!"
- Until his presidential run in 2000 he regularly used the word "gook" and refused to stop despite repeated requests from the Asian American community.
No one questions his bravery as a POW during the Vietnam War, and returning to civilian life must have been an incredible challenge. But soon after arriving home, McCain admits to "numerous" extramarital affairs, culminating (I assume) with his affair with a young woman named Cindy. McCain proposed to Cindy, although of course he was already married to Carol. Carol had waited for John while he was a POW, but unfortunately
Carol McCain, once a model, had been badly injured in a car wreck in 1969. The accident "left her 4 inches shorter and on crutches, and she gained a good deal of weight."So just to get this straight, McCain returns home to find his former beautiful wife now disabled and overweight. So he begins his string of affairs, ending with the lovely Cindy Hensley. Did you know that Hensley just happens to be an heiress to a liquor fortune. How convenient for a young man pondering a run for Congress!
So Democrats, whoever wins the nomination, stay energized!