Saturday, February 23, 2008

Apparently, understanding the state of the world today and having the skills to make it a better place is just not enough for the American voter

My level of cable t.v. doesn't carry CNN or MSNBC (yes, that would be the "ultimate cheapo" level, and you can get it too wherever you live), so I haven't watched many of the debates. I usually end up catching bits and pieces of them. Well, I happened upon this excerpt where Hillary Clinton talks about the importance of being able to take over the Presidency with the ability and understanding on Day One of the complexities of the world. And I am truly saddened that it's looking more and more like she will not be our next president. C'mon Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania. And my friends and family in Vermont, too!

5 comments:

BAC said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see her closing comment. She received a standing ovation, which I think is why the Obama camp immediately went on the attack.


BAC

Mauigirl said...

I am definitely torn about Hillary - I do think she's highly competent and a very hard worker. I hope whatever happens that both Obama and Hillary will be closely involved in the new administration. I know it's too much to hope for a dual ticket given there has been animosity in this race, but I hope whoever does win puts the other to good use in his or her cabinet. They both are very talented and each has their strengths.

Sue J said...

BAC, Fortunately, I have seen that replayed. It proved to me one again that between the two of them, she is the one who understands the art of diplomacy and compromise.

MauiGirl, I hope so too, but I don't see him extending a hand as much as I see her doing it. If they're going to work together next year, he'd better stop saying one thing in the debates and then doing the opposite the next day.

Mauigirl said...

I know what you mean, but I think it might be said that Hillary has been doing similar things. I guess when you're running against each other it may be hard to avoid; on one hand you don't want to appear too hostile, on the other hand you want to win. It's a thin line.

I just hope after the nomination is settled, the other candidate will back the nominee with full enthuasiasm, because otherwise we might be in the same situation as in 1968, as I've mentioned on my blog. I fully believe that Eugene McCarthy's late and lukewarm endorsement of Humphrey gave us Richard Nixon as President.

Sue J said...

I think, from what she has said up to this point, Hillary Clinton will throw her full support behind Barack Obama if he wins the nomination. She's well aware of what happened in 1968, as well, and I truly do think she wants what's best for the nation. Of course she thinks SHE'S best, but if not her, then Obama is certainly preferable over ANY Republican nominee.