Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Your assignment for today

I need your help today.

Yesterday, I listened to Sen. Lieberman as he argued against the amendments to the Defense Authorization bill. (It is being debated in the Senate all week, and much of it is being carried on C-Span radio.)

Lieberman said something that really made me stop and think (aside from his apparent obsession with Iran, which was also quite startling). To me, it sounded like: “We don't have to listen to what the people of America are saying. We in Congress know what's right.”

Here's the exact quote:


Mr. President, I conclude with these words: Our responsibilities in this chamber ultimately do not allow us to be guided by our frustrations, or even by public opinion polls, when we respectfully believe that those public opinion polls do not reflect what is best for our nation.

We were elected to lead. We were elected to see beyond the next election, to do what is best for the next generation of Americans. We were elected to defend our beloved country, its security, and its values - all that is on the line in Iraq today.
So my question to each of you is this:

Did we elect them to lead us where they think best, or did we elect them to enact the public will?

I hope you will take a moment to ponder and then share your thoughts in the comments. I'm honestly conflicted on this notion and could use your insight. Remember, you can always post anonymously if you wish.

2 comments:

Allison said...

This is a really tough one. I am conflicted because I believe a majority of our population is not very smart. My sister was told during her journalism class to write at the 8th grade level. That's our nation according to the media, a bunch of 8th graders.

The public tends to jump on the bandwagon without knowing why they agree or disagree with a topic. Usually their opinions come from sensationalized news and unfounded "evidence" and "professional" opinion, which is not truly their own opinion at all.

However!!! I also believe these people don't write to their congressmen or senators. They probably don't even know who they are. Many of these people don't even vote for any office but the presidency. I am stating this merely on opinion and observation, not on factual evidence.

I also consider that Congressmen and Senators are privy to much more information than the general public. I have a bit of a background and know how much goes on behind the scenes that the general public will never know. We trust them to apply that information to our needs and opinions. So...

I think Congressmen and Senators have an obligation to the American people to do what they feel is right by them. If they are receiving thousands of educated and informed requests from the American people for withdrawal from Iraq or impeachment proceedings... that should be their course of action. For me it's all a matter of the knowledge behind the opinion given.

Sue J said...

I know. It doesn't give you much faith in the American people when we let Bush steal the election and get away with it. I think that's when I finally realized the American people, as a whole, are idiots.

Sigh.