Monday, July 2, 2007

Bush asks: "Is it just me they hate?"

According to today's Washington Post, President Bush regularly holds unlisted meetings with trusted advisers, to whom he asks, "What is the nature of good and evil in the post-Sept. 11 world? What lessons does history have for a president facing the turmoil I'm facing? How will history judge what we've done? Why does the rest of the world seem to hate America? Or is it just me they hate?"

The scariest quote of the article to me is, "You don't get any feeling of somebody crouching down in the bunker," said Irwin M. Stelzer, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute who was part of one group of scholars who met with Bush. "This is either extraordinary self-confidence or out of touch with reality. I can't tell you which." (Emphasis mine.)

The article is long, but worth the read. Jump to the story here.

No comments: