Thursday, September 27, 2007

Air travel with a granola bar: When does it constitute a threat to security?

Yes, dear readers, I recently experienced again what our leaders like to call airport “security.” And once again, I noticed many inconsistencies and lapses in this so-called “system.”

When I left from BWI in Baltimore, my both my handbag and my carry-on suitcase caused concern for the TSA agent watching the x-ray screen. He called out to another TSA agent to do a check on both items.

I wasn't too worried, because I figured the handbag was possibly my cell phone, and the suitcase either my cell phone charger or digital camera. I had done everything else they had asked me, putting 3 oz. bottles of shampoo in a baggie, standing in bare feet, “declaring” my bottle of saline.

When the woman checking my bags looked in my handbag and found nothing suspicious, she cheerily announced to me that it must have been my granola bar. Okay, maybe. But imagine my surprise when she handed me the bag, walked over to x-ray man and laughingly told him it was a “candy bar.” They both chuckled. And then she walked away.

Standing at the end of the conveyor belt, I slowly put my shoes on, zipped up my handbag, and gathered up my things. And walked away.

Um, dear readers, did you notice that she never checked the suitcase?

Coming home, I flew out of Atlanta. Although I had the same emergency granola bar in my same handbag, no one cared. I decided to check my suitcase because the conference I attended had given out customized screwdrivers as gifts (yes, I go to some classy conferences — don't be jealous now). I thought for sure putting that in my suitcase would cause trouble.

But no! I mentioned this to a colleague who also attended this conference and received a screwdriver — he took his in his carry on luggage without a problem!

My question to those in charge is: WTF?!

I believe there clearly is a need for security screening at airports. But a little consistency would be nice. And I've got to wonder how much the TSA employees are becoming numb to being always on watch for items like shampoo. Clearly I could have snuck something onto the plane in the first instance because the screeners were too busy looking for a million little items. It's not beyond imagination that something simple like causing a distraction could allow a passenger to pass through with dangerous items.

But for now, if you're passing through BWI, wear comfy shoes and leave the granola bar at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you know that its the granola loving types that the guvenment is be afeerd of?

Sue J said...

I know. Granola in thw wrong hands can be very dangerous. ;-)