Wednesday, June 27, 2007

American support for the war in Iraq continues to drop



The latest poll by CNN shows that 67 percent of Americans oppose the war in Iraq. The number of Americans who support the war in Iraq is at a record low of 30 percent. With this clear majority, how can our elected officials continue to blatantly ignore the mandate of the people?


Other interesting numbers from the CNN poll:
  • 63 % of Americans are ready to withdraw at least some troops from Iraq

  • 38 % of Republicans now saying they oppose the war

  • 54 % of Americans do not believe U.S. action in Iraq is morally justified

Two prominent Republican senators have now woken up to these figures. Senator Richard Lugar stated "In my judgment, the costs and risk of continuing down the current path outweigh the potential benefits that might be achieved."

The other senator, George Voinovich of Ohio, wrote this week that "We must begin to develop a comprehensive plan for our country's gradual military disengagement from Iraq and a corresponding increase in responsibility to the Iraqi government and its regional neighbors."

These comments are a move in the right direction, but clearly Congress continues to need to hear from the American people on this issue. Please continue to contact your Senators and Representatives and tell them to bring out troops home.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Since this conflict started I've been afraid I would lose a friend or relative. I was "lucky" and still hadn't known any of the casualties until now. My friend Trista was killed by mortar/rocket fire on the 25th while she was asleep. Now more than ever I want us out of there. I am tired of worrying and being sad and scared for my friends... and myself. I want my friends' husbands back. I don't want mine to go again. I don't want my nephew or my brother-in-law or my cousins out there. 2008 can't come fast enough. We need to shut this idiot up now and get everyone OUT.

Sue J said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. So many people feel detached from this war — it hasn't hit home for them yet. But I believe that the readers of this blog share in your grief.

We must turn this grief into action, folks. Call your Senators and Represenatives and demand that they stop funding this war. Honest, good, hardworking people are dying because of our President and his misguided mission. We have the power to make it stop.