Thursday, September 20, 2007

So now I'm a Neo Pagan?

I guess this is what comes of not attending church regularly. I recently came upon a website called the “Belief-O-Matic.” It's great — it helps you find an organized religion that fits your core values and beliefs. If you're like me, and have kind of lapsed lately, you might have found yourself recently thinking “I wonder if there's a church in my neighborhood that I would enjoy attending.”

After taking a 10-page survey, my suggested results were:

I'm not suprised by number one and two, as I have previously in my life attended both Unitarian and Quaker services regularly, and graduated from Friends (Quaker) high school and college.

But Neo Paganism? Must admit, that's a new one to me! (And my Baptist missionary grandparents are rolling in their graves, I'm sure!) But the Beliefnet summary of what it considers Neo Paganism is actually pretty interesting:
Neo-Pagans are a community of faiths bringing ancient Pagan and magickal traditions to the modern age--including mostly Wicca but also Druidism, Asatru, Shamanism, neo-Native American, and more. Neo-Pagan is an umbrella term for various and diverse beliefs with many elements in common. Some Neo-Pagans find no incongruence practicing Neo-Paganism along with adherence to another faith, such as Christianity or Judaism.
So, I guess I can practice Neo Paganism along with attending meeting at the local Quaker Meeting House? Check it out and see what kind of results you get. If nothing else, the questions on the survey will make you think.

Maybe refill your coffee cup first.

No comments: